Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Popcorn!!

I'm sure a bunch of you are hosting or going to Holiday parties right about now and I've got a yummy, and cheap snack you can make for them. Here is a simple, fast recipe for some Holiday Popcorn! Or you can just call it Almond Bark Popcorn if your a Scrooge and don't enjoy the holidays!

All you need is:
1 bag of white popcorn (I also recommend lightly salted popcorn if you want a nice contrast of salty and sweet, which is what I prefer but I decided to tone it down with regular popcorn since I knew I was going to be giving some of this away)
1 - 24oz. block of vanilla flavored almond bark
SPRINKLES!

Start by putting your almond bark into a microwaveable dish and begin with 90 seconds. Some directions I found said to check it at 15 second intervals but I did 30 second intervals and it was fine.
This is the almond bark after 90 seconds. Nothing happened to it in my microwave because my microwave is crap.
While your almond bark is melting, get your popcorn ready. I bought a bag like this at the grocery store for maybe $2.00. Super cheap.
I have a really bad problem of starting my projects and forgetting that I should put them in my blog. So I start taking pictures in the middle of my experiment and that is why you get some like this... an empty bag of popcorn. I really need to get my sh*t together.
Lay your popcorn out flat on wax or parchment paper. I opted for parchment paper because it was all I had.
Like this.
Now that your almond bark is nice and melty (which I forgot to take a picture of) you can begin drizzling it onto your popcorn.

Here's what I had left.... but you can see how melty it is. Looks kinda like icing.
 Here's where it got difficult for me. I couldn't get it to drizzle, it was just plopping onto the popcorn in big gooey clumps (maybe it needed to be microwaved longer) so I ended up getting down and dirty. I just kinda dug into the almond bark with my hands and plopped it onto the popcorn and made sure I got it all mixed in. I think that worked best for me. Just sticking my hand right into the melted almond bark and rubbing it into the popcorn. But you can do whatever works best for you. I just have no patience and wanted to get the job done.
This popcorn is actually coated in the almond bark now, but you can't really tell. You can barely tell while you're doing it either. I just started eating it and tried to discover which parts needed more flavor.
NOW here comes the fun part. Time for sprinkles!!!!
I just dumped the entire container on this because I couldn't think of any other use I would have for Christmas sprinkles at the moment. But they look (and taste) damn good. I say go nuts!! You can never have too many sprinkles!
Some other fun things you could try is melting some chocolate morsels and putting the melted chocolate in a zip lock baggie and cutting a TINY hole in the corner and drizzling it onto the popcorn also. You could buy some colored candy melts (I find them at Hobby Lobby) in holiday colors and melting them and doing the same thing, drizzling it over the popcorn.You can add pretty much anything you like! And the best part is, you can put it in little baggies and hand it out as a CHEAP holiday gift. I know I love food, and receiving snacks as gifts would definitely make me happy!



Hope you enjoy your Christmahanukwanzika Popcorn!! Happy Holidays everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment