Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

My new business venture, adventure!

Recently I have decided that instead of answering to "The Man" that I was going to continue being a stay at home mom but I am going to try to start up a little side business/hobby thing. I have been painting furniture for a while now but have kept everything I painted, never thought about selling it. I decided that since I have all this free time, tons of space, why not try to venture into the upcycling furniture world! I am really, really excited! I have my mother-in-law helping me find these junky old pieces, which has worked out great because we have found LOTS of awesome things. She is my junker and I am the creative eye. I see something and just know what I would want it to look like and then I try to do it! I have found that local Facebook swap & shop pages are by far the easiest way to get your name out there. I am on maybe 4 or 5 different swap pages and it is so much easier than craigslist or etsy. It's free and it's local, can't beat that for starting out! And for those of you that don't know what a swap & shop is, it's a Facebook group with several hundred to several thousand members. You post a picture of the item you have for sale; clothing, furniture, whatever it is, put a price on it, where you are located and how far you are willing to meet and wait for the fish to bite. It has worked well so far! Out of the 3 things I have listed, 2 have already sold and one is getting picked up at the end of the week! YAY!!! Okay, without further adieu, here is my first project!


Floral Upholstered Bench DIY
 
So here is the very first piece I finished, and I am selling it this week! I covered it in a bright blue exterior paint and found a great outdoor fabric for 40% off at Joann. I think it turned out great for my first attempt at upholstery. I would keep it but honestly, I have no idea where I would put it and it doesn't even come close to my color scheme.

Total Cost: $30



Before picture, this thing was covered in some pretty hideous fabric. Ick.



Primed in a dark grey, ready for some fun!!
 

Final product. Look at how the colors just pop! It is so bright and cheerful, I absolutely adore this little bench!

  EEEEEEK! How lovely it turned out!! So bright and cheerful. Man, it was a drabby little thing before, such a sad little bench. But now it's just the cutest little thang!

I am so excited to get the ball rolling and start churning out some stellar pieces! There are some awesome pieces I've acquired recently and I am pretty sure they are going to turn out AMAZING. So come back soon for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment