Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Chickity China the Chinese Chicken!

Hey bitches! Alrighty, let's just go ahead and get things started. I'm here to give you yet ANOTHER amazing recipe of mine.... well it's not really mine I found how to make it online and decided to tweak it to the way I like it. Sooooo... if you love General Tso's Chicken, then you are in LUCK because I have an amazing recipe you can make at home that tastes amazing! I don't want to waste your time with this boring crap so let's get right to it...


WHAT YOU NEED:
2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 cup green onion, diced
vegetable oil - approx 2 cups to fry the chicken, and 1tbsp to cook the green onion
(I'm not really sure how much you will need to fry the chicken, so I just made that up. But you will want enough to cover about half the chicken as it is cooking in the pan. So 1 cup.... maybe 3... I'm not sure. I just dumped a bunch into my pan and thought it looked good!)

Cornstarch Mixture (the "breading")
1 cup cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce

Sauce:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic , minced
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sherry wine or 1/4 cup white wine
14.5 ounces chicken broth (a can)

  
 First thing I like to do is cut up the green onion and set it aside.

Go Cats! :)

Chop to this size. Save this for later. It's just easier to get all of your ingredients ready for when you will need them later!

Cut yo' chicken up.
I'd say these are about 1 inch cubes... maybe bigger, maybe smaller. I don't have a damn ruler so I couldn't tell ya exactly how big they are.
Preheat your oil to 350 degrees... I check the temp with a meat thermometer. I don't know if that's the best, but it is all I have so that's what I go with.

While your oil is heating, it's time to prepare the sauce. Get all your sauce ingredients and dump them into a Tupperware container. Then shake, shake, shake senora, shake your body line. Shake, shake, shake senora, shake it all the time!! Sorry... got distracted and now I have that song stuck in my head. But shake that sauce like it's a cranky baby. (hehe JUST KIDDING, you CAN'T do that to babies... or so I'm told.)
ooh, it looks so yummy! It will smell strongly of vinegar, and that is how it's supposed to be. So don't mess with it.

It will settle while you're cooking your other crap, but it's cool. Just shake the hell out of it again when you're ready for it.
Now, for the cornstarch mixture that you will be bathing your chicken nuggets in. Beat the egg first, then add in the soy sauce, then the cornstarch. It's going to be SUPER thick, but that's how it should be. If it starts getting chunky, add some more soy sauce. I also suggest NOT packing your cornstarch because that will give you the chunky batter that you DON'T want. Which I made the mistake of doing, I just wanted this picture to look pretty. OOPS!

You need these things.

It should look like this, but it will be difficult to stir. It's appearance is deceiving.
OK, now that EVERYTHING is ready, it's time to start cooking. Take your chicken chunks and dunk them into the batter, then plop them into the oil.... or place them in gently if you don't want oil splashing about and burning your beautiful hands.

kinda looks like peanut butter. yummy!

Here's how your chicken should look when it's done frying. Make sure you cooked them thoroughly, don't want that nasty salmonella.
I only cook about 7-8 pieces at a time to keep the temp of the oil at 350, and then place them in a bowl lined with paper towels while I do the next batch. This part is time consuming, but you have to do it. Sorry!

Now that you have your chicken cooked, it's time to make the sauce! I like to use a pot, the kind I make spaghetti noodles in, and I add about a tbsp. of vegetable oil and put the green onions in there and let them cook for about 30 seconds then I make sure my sauce is all shaken up and dump it into the pot.
Like so.
Be sure to stir this continuously because it will start to thicken and you don't want anything burning.
It is like magic!!
Now you can throw your cooked chicken right into this pot, stir it all up and serve it! By this point you are probably going to be drooling over the chicken, just make sure none of your drool gets into the oil because that sh*t will spit right back. And it won't feel good.

Mix it in REAL good!
So, you can serve this with rice, or lo mein, or whatever Asian/Asian-American side dish you can come up with. My lazy ass went with NO side dish. I don't like rice anyway, so I didn't bother making it.

Looks soooooooo good!!
For those of you who prefer it to be spicy, you can add whole peppers to the sauce, or some crushed red pepper for a little zing! But since I currently do not own any crushed red pepper, I went without it. I can never remember to buy it when I'm at the grocery store, I have big problems when I go grocery shopping. I'm lucky if I make it to the store with my list, if I even have one. I have gone without ketchup for over a week and I LOOOOOOVE ketchup. I finally made an effort to remember ketchup, and lucky for me I actually came home from the store with some today. Yipee! And I'm off topic again. So... I hope I didn't leave anything important out of this recipe, it's 1:00am and we just got back from a movie so I'm kinda sleepy but figured I would get this done while I had the recipe fresh in my brain. ENJOY!!!!!

Oh! and Happy Holidays everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment