Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Country Fried Steak and disease.

The past couple days Kinsley has had a runny nose, and I think I got whatever she had, but worse. My Body hurts, my nose is stuffy, my throat is sore, and my skin hurts. UGH. Not much else for me to do other than sit on my couch and blog. Lucky you ;)

I have a new recipe for you guys to try! Over the weekend I attempted to make a country fried steak for the first time and I must say, they were pretty good!! Let's get started, shall we?

Ingredients:
1lb Cube Steak
2 c. Shortening (Crisco)
1 egg, beaten
1 c. buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. all purpose flour

for the gravy:
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 quart milk
salt and pepper to taste

Put the shortening into a pan (I used cast iron and it worked beautifully), heat oil to 365 degrees.

Get your meat ready...
Trim off excess fat. Nobody wants to eat that crap.
Take the flour and garlic powder and combine in a shallow bowl.

In another shallow bowl, beat together egg, buttermilk, salt and pepper.
Like so. Milky crap on the right, and the flour mix is on the left. I used tongs to flip my meat around while it was frying.
Dunk your meat into the buttermilk mixture, then flop it around in the flour mixture and make sure you coat it generously because I had some of it fall off white frying. And then plop it into the pan!
Oh yum! Look at that nasty bloody juice creeping through the top of the meat. Makes me hungry.
Now, if you can multi-task you can begin making your side dishes while these little patties are frying. I opted for some instant mashed potatoes, powdered gravy, and frozen corn (Classy as always). YUMMMMMY!! I got that sh*t started while the steaks were cooking.
I followed the directions on the box to make these, and apparently THIS is supposed to feed 6-7 people. I'm pretty sure that could feed like 6-7 elves. What the crap?
My instant gravy! I'm just too lazy sometimes to make the real stuff.
And I don't have a photo of my corn, but we all know what that looks like. Deal with it.

But this is SOMEWHAT what your steaks should look like... mine might have fried just a bit too long but nonetheless they were delicious!
I had to keep adding shortening to the pan because my steaks kept sticking if there wasn't enough. So if you use more than 2 tbsp that is FINE!
Now for the gravy, if you want to make it yourself. Reserve 1/2 c. of the grease/oil left in the pan. Blend in 1/4 c. flour to form a paste. Gradually add milk until you reach the desired consistency, stirring constantly. Heat through, and season with salt and pepper.

And there you have it folks! Some seriously delicious home cookin! And if you want to keep it super classy, you could even make your own potatoes! But I absolutely HATE the process of mashing a potato so instant works just fine for me! Ok, go run to the kitchen and start cooking NOW!



Now time for cute pics of my kid. She has her own Dora Kitchen and likes to cook, just like mommy.

Talking to Dora on the phone. We might need to start a Dora fan club, she is obsessed!

Things are getting pretty serious in the kitchen!
Anyway, that's all I have for you guys. I am now going to heavily medicate myself and lay in bed and watch cartoons with my kid. Hope you're all having a better day than I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment