Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Crafts from the Past

Hey guys! It's been a couple days since my last post. Sorry. But this momma had a super fun night out on Friday and then spent Saturday curled up in the fetal position trying to not vomit. Anywho..... I am here to share some of my crafts from the past. They aren't detailed, but who cares. I'll explain them to the best of my ability. And if you have any questions you can always e-mail me at jayandkin@gmail.com Okay, here we go....

Project #1
Shabby Chic Dresser

I got a dresser like this when I moved to college.... it was a little different but this is pretty similar. This one is from Nebraska Furniture Mart's website: http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?ProductID=21755129
I got real tired of it's ugly color and wanted something a bit fancier, so I painted it a dark brown with a beige trim on the top that had a very faint zebra print. I have an animal print obsession.... fun fact about me! Anyway, that was college. When I moved into my boyfriend's house I decided that the spare bedroom was going to be ALL mine. I found this AMAZING white ruffled quilt at Urban Outfitters ( I think online it's called the Waterfall Duvet) for 75% off and pillow shams 75% too so I had to buy it, and I could have either bought a new dresser or give my old one a makeover again and since I'm a cheap ass I went with option number two. I opted for a shabby chic feel and this is what I came up with....
For the pinstripes I used blue painters tape and just started on one side of the drawer and put a piece down. Then I left a tiny space in between and laid the next piece of tape next to it and so on and so on. I don't like rulers and measuring tape and that crap so I just eyeballed it, if you want to be precise you could measure out a cm or however wide you would want your pinstripe to be. But I'm like a honeybadger and I don't give a F**K!
Finished product. Sorry I have no pictures of me actually painting this. I did this a couple years ago, long before the thought of blogging ever planted it's little seed in my brain.

 Ebay knobs!! Sooooo chic!

I painted over the dark brown color and then sanded off some of the corners to get a distressed feel. It definately adds some characted and who would've guessed this dresser EVER looked like the one in that first picture? Soooo much easier and cheaper to DIY... or so I think.

View of the top, which I painted the same shade as the pinstripes just to add a little more color.


This was a pretty simple project, it just took time to let everything dry, then add another coat, and wait even longer. The one downfall to painting is you don't get immediate results, and I have zero patience when it comes to things like this. I just want them to be in my bedroom looking pretty, sort of how I like my men ;) Haha. Okay, well onto the next one.


PROJECT #2
Baby Letters

While I was pregnant with my daughter I told myself there was NO way I am painting her room or putting anything in there that is pink. I opted for a coral, teal, and dark brown color scheme instead. I think my mom bought me the letters from Hobby Lobby.... or maybe Joann Fabrics. I'm not entirely sure.

What you need:
Wooden Letters
1 color of acrylic paint (those cheap $0.89 bottles from the craft store)
Paint pen or two depending on how many colors you want (I used 1)
Stick on rhinestones
Random swirly diecut things I found in the scrapbooking area of Hobby Lobby
Oh, and don't forget your Tacky Glue!

I painted each letter a coral color, and once they were dried I took my scrapbook brown swirly things and cut them up.

They looked like this KINDA...
These are from http://www.opentip.com/Home-Garden/Company-Diecut-Pc-Swirls-Frames-p-2359495.html
The ones I bought didn't have birds or flowers, just the almost cardboard-type swirls and they were all brown. But this gives you an idea.
I cut them up to the size I liked and just stuck them on my letters with tacky glue (I try to use tacky glue for everything, sometimes I fail. Like when I tried to tacky glue my pumpkin back together on halloween when I carved out a chunk I shouldn't have) but in this case, it worked. My kid just turned 2 and these still look perfect above her bed. Anyway, I glued on the brown swirls, then I took my teal colored paint pen and drew on some more swirls.


Voila
For the finishing touch, I added on some sticky rhinestones and added some ribbon to the back with.... wait, try to guess. Did you guess TACKY GLUE!! You are correct! To hang them up i glued two pieces of ribbon to the back of each letter, tied a bow with the ribbon, and then stuck them in the wall with thumb tacks. So easy! If you don't like the fancier version I made, you could always just go buy a couple paint pens and draw your own pattern. Be creative and get funky and I am sure it will look awesome!

Project #3
Bedazzled Skull Faces

Okay, one more super easy craft that I did last year for Halloween. OOH! Another fun fact, Halloween is hands down my FAVORITE holiday ever. Spooky ghosts, spiderwebs, pumpkins, candy, costumes.... I could go on and on about how much I love Halloween but I won't. Not today at least.


What you need:
Silver metallic spray paint
Large stick on rhinestones
cradboard skull faces

Are you ready?? Okay, here's what you do. Take your paper skulls outside, place them on your lawn (or your neighbors if you don't want silver grass), and spray them with your spray paint. Take your stick on rhinestones, plop them onto the skull and you're done. WOW! You could put on a clear spray finish, but I didn't know what to use and I didn't care because this project was pretty cheap. And to hang them up, you can add a ribbon to the back with none other than TACKY GLUE and hang them on a nail. I like to hang mine vertically with the non jeweled one in the middle. So cute, super easy, go try it because you won't be disappointed. Anyway, that's enough  of my crafts from the past. If I think of any other ones I feel like I need to share.... I will share them. But for now.... I am done!! Hope you guys learned something. And if you didn't, then.... I don't know what to tell you. BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment