Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

We are all mad here!

For my daughter's 2nd birthday I had planned to do an Alice in Wonderland theme. I found a chair at goodwill for $8 and decided to paint it accordingly. So I headed to Hobby Lobby and picked out some acrylic paints and some new paint brushes and got to work.

 
This is the start of my project. I began with painting the poles pink and the bottom black. The black on the bottom is a matte paint, which I didn't realize until it started drying. But then I decided I actually liked it that way, so I left it.
By this point I realized I should have primed the posts (the pink things on the chair, I dont know what you call them) because I had to do SOOO many coats of that damn pink to cover up the original color showing through. Such a pain in my A.

This photo is where I got smart and finally primed the rest of the chair. Then I added the purple stripes to the pink things to incorporate a cheshire cat feel to the chair.

Okay, so for this zig-zags, aka Chevron, pattern I didn't show the detail that went into this at all. So I will try explain to the best of my ability. I found an L Shape ruler in the garage (google it if you don't know what it is) and traced the points of the ruler out with a pencil, then kind of just used the width of the ruler as the guide to how wide my zags were. And once I had it all drawn out I got the painters tape out and placed it one every other one. Before I started with the black paint I took some white paint and painted over the edges of the tape to get it underneath any part where the black could seep through. I let it dry, then went ahead and paint over it with the black and got an AMAZING zig zag patter than I instantly fell in love with.

TA-DA!


I added a cute cheshire cat quote to the front with a FAT black sharpie paint pen.

Then last but not least I painted a smile with my leftover white paint and once it was dried I went over it with the Black Sharpie paint pen and outlined it and added the teeth. So cute!!!

This last picture just shows the mess I made of our garage.... which most of it is still down there 2 months later because I really hate cleaning!
I will add some photos of her birthday party in another post but I just wanted to share my beautiful Alice in Wonderland creation with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment