Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Cheap Table Gets a New Look!

 
Distressed Chevron Side Table



This table has got to be one of my all time favorite finds. Only cost me $4 at a garage sale. SCORE! The top was really aged looking and the legs were all scratched up. Nothing I couldn't handle. I put it in my car and when I got home I had noticed that the top was crooked. I hate buying things and then getting them home and realizing I have to do extra work on them. Well, luckily for me it actually wasn't a loose top, the top actually swivels. Fantastic! This thing needed absolutely NO work done other than a paint job. Phew. So, I had no clue what I was going to do with it then I remembered seeing this AMAZING dresser on pinterest that has actually inspired several of my pieces. I have done this style before but have always done it over a piece that had been painted already.


I didn't quite know how I was going to tape this down and find a way to make sure paint wouldn't bleed under the tape. I now realize I need to try frog tape instead of the blue painters tape, I have heard RAVE reviews! I wanted a clean look (at first) of chevron over the ratty old table. I thought it would make a great contrast. So, being a girl, I got out my white eyeliner pencil (yep, not chalk... but eyeliner) and my carpenter's block and got all the lines measured out. I got my tape placed where I wanted it, then gave it a nice coat of clear paint before I started with the white.



Once the clear coat dried, I did a coat of homemade white chalk paint. A quart of Benjamin Moor cost me $2 at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. And I didn't have to use very much.... I just love a cheap project! As I was removing the painters tape, it kept removing the finish on the table. No big deal, I wanted the wood to be distressed looking anyway. I just had no idea that the painters tape could do that! So I let this table sit like this overnight, to let it dry. I got back out there the next day and wasn't quite satisfied with it. So I asked some friends to guide me. Do I leave it with the clean white chevron or distress the paint? Everyone said to distress, so distress I did!


Once I finished sanding and distressing I covered the table with Annie Sloan clear wax a couple times. The legs are still dinged up and the top has scratches all over it... but I LOVE the way this turned out. I loved it so much that it now has a permanent home in my living room. I normally don't keep anything I do, but my little house really needed this table. Look how cute it is!

 

Goes great with my chevron pillows!

Looks really cute next to this chair I did, I love this little corner now! I had originally planned on buying one of those bookshelf ladders but now I have my own, unique pieces. NOBODY in the world has a corner like this. Love love love!




No comments:

Post a Comment