Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Dresser Restore

Mint Green Chest of Drawers




This piece... ugh. What a giant pain in my ass. I mean, I did not get a chance to fully inspect this before it was delivered because the lady had it FULL of junk. So my mother in law delivers it to me, I just give it a quick glance and all looks good, nbd. I open it up and the drawers have holes and cracks and it's missing this and this is broke, blah blah blah. It was just a hot, hot mess. So I wasn't very inspired. I started off just painting the top white and waxing it with Annie Sloan clear and dark wax. I left it like that for a few days because I thought I was done haha. No, I kept walking by it in my garage and I just couldn't stand the sight of it. Brown and white, those are not my 2 favorite colors.





I had some paint that my father in law had given me, so I decided to mix in a little white paint to tone it down and make it a little more "minty". I am very happy with the external results. As for internal, not so much. The drawer stops are apparently very vintage and nobody could help me find replacements. Only about half the stops were actually still there, so the drawers would slide back too far and it wasn't flush with the outside of the dresser. So I rigged it with some U-shaped staple things instead. Cool. Next was to tackle the shitty drawers. I filled all the holes and cracks, even stapled a few places together, added some nails to reinforce. Lots of stupid work. It definitely did not make the drawers more appealing. No one wants to see that crap. Actually let me back up one second, I don't know how to make drawers so the route I chose was the "easy" way out. Someone else can make a new drawer bottom if they MUST have it.  I am not selling or buying high-dollar pieces, so my cheating ways are what works. Continuing... the drawers looked like crap, no one wants to see that. I decided contact paper would be the way to go... and it works.




 It looks really nice. It just has some issues. If you want a cute dresser, this one is it! I have actually been talking myself out of replacing the dresser I have in my guest bedroom with this one... we shall see. But I really hope someone buys it so I don't have to move it up the stairs into my room haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment