Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nutribullet Smoothie Diet

I recently received a Nutribullet as a wedding gift and may I just say, I love it!? We've had a very short relationship (going on 3 days now) but I knew it would be the real thing the moment I drank my first smoothie. It was the most delightful thing I have ever laid lips on! We all know the wedding is in less than 4 weeks and that I've been having weight gain issues because of my thyroid so I decided to try this thing I call the smoothie diet. Basically I'm having about 2 smoothies a day, and sometimes a small one after dinner if I still feel hungry.

Isn't she a beaut?!

One thing you should know about me... I absolutely HATE vegetables. I can tolerate a salad here and there, but it has to be spring mix or leafy greens, I refuse to eat iceberg lettuce. Bleh. I will occasionally eat corn, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. That is it. That is all the vegetables I will eat. And not often AT ALL. I am more of a fruit lover, I will eat any and all fruit but my least faves would have to be raspberries, pears, and oranges. Aside from my love of fruit, I still don't eat the recommended daily servings of it. I want to be healthy and I want to eat healthy.

Another thing you should know about me, when I had a hyperactive thyroid I could eat ANYTHING I wanted and not gain a pound so basically all my life I've been eating crap. I would eat a frozen pizza daily, chips, candy, fast food all the time, I would drink like 6 sodas a day... it was a very unhealthy lifestyle but I could get away with it! Once my thyroid was destroyed I started packing on the pounds and I realized I had to do a major lifestyle change if I wanted to maintain my skinny body. Luckily my appetite has dropped tremendously, so I don't have the urge to snack constantly. I haven't had a frozen pizza since August! I haven't eaten a Dorito in about a month, and have had a TOTAL of about 7 cherry lifesavers this month. So needless to say, I am committed to doing this right. The only "unhealthy" foods I've been buying are for my daughter, lunchables, hot dogs, etc. Basic stuff that picky little 3 year olds eat. She has an odd appetite, she loves her hot dogs, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese and such but also LOVES eating fruit, veggies, salads, and soup just to name a few. I've even gotten her to drink some of my smoothies with me! So what I was trying to say is, No I don't constantly feed my kid crappy food. She has a good balanced diet, and honestly I'm trying to plump her up a little since she's so dang tiny!

So I started my smoothie diet, and it's going great! I'm actually down 2 pounds in 3 days, YES! Some people may think that it isn't a great idea to drink your meals or to substitute so many meals for smoothies but they fill me up and they taste amazing and it's actually a ton of food! So haters are gonna hate and all I can say is, this is my life and my body and I do what I want. And I want to drink smoothies damnit!!

Here is what I bought to make my smoothies: cantaloupe, 5 bananas, a package of strawberries, a package of blueberries, about 8 organic pears, 8 organic green apples, 2 oranges, golden flaxseed, Organic Girl kale, and Organic Girl "super greens".
I bought all of this Tuesday night and today is Thursday and I have gone through all the strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and the container of super greens. I've had about 2 pears, 1 apple, and half an orange as well. Now you may think, should she be eating that much fruit? It has a lot of sugar! Well, here's what I have to say. I JUST started this diet and I'm not a veggie lover so I am working my way up to less fruit and more veggies. I think in my next smoothie I will substitute 1 fruit for some carrots. This is a lifestyle change and I can't make myself LOVE veggies overnight, I'm going to transition into it and maybe one day I'll even enjoy eating my veggies whole and raw, who the hell knows?! But as of this day, that ain't happenin.

So maybe you'd like to see a recipe or 2? My base for each smoothie is 2 handfuls of greens and a banana. I like the banana because A. it gives it great flavor and B. it makes the drink nice and creamy.

The smoothie pictured below contains the following things:
  • 2 handfuls of super greens
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 navel orange
  • 1/2 organic green apple
  • A couple ounces of orange juice
  • water & a little crushed ice


Looks weird, tastes ammmmazing!
 
The smoothie I am currently sipping on is:
  • 2 handfuls of kale
  • 1 banana
  • 8 strawberries
  • 4 pieces of cantaloupe
  • water & a little crushed ice
It is a little darker than the one above, but they all look pretty similar.
 
On top of this diet I have started a little beginners work out plan I call the "Popsicle Workout". Basically I wrote down a ton of different exercise on strips of paper and draw 5 at random everyday, sometimes more if I don't feel challenged. But I am saving that for another post. Continue to be on the lookout for new smoothie recipes though. I plan on making a TON more and maybe I'll even whip out my professional camera instead of using my iphone for pictures. That'd be a treat :) Over and out!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment